Land Rover got its start as the Rover Company in 1885, which began as a bicycle manufacturer in Warwickshire, England. After changing ownership a few times over decades of history, Land Rover is now owned by the Indian auto manufacturing giant Tata Motors. Find out more about Land Rover history and origins below, and contact Land Rover Mission Viejo near Coto De Caza for all your Land Rover needs!
Who Is Tata Motors?
Tata Motors, which is owned by Tata Group, is an Indian automotive manufacturer headquartered in Mumbai that began all the way back in 1868 as a trading company. Below are some facts about the company that owns Land Rover:
- Tata Group made a name for themselves by opening India’s first hotel with electricity in 1907, building Western India’s first hydropower plant, and founding the Indian Institute of Science in 1911.
- Land Rover, along with Jaguar Cars, was bought by Tata Motors from Ford in 2008.
- The two British brands were joined under Tata Motors to become Jaguar Land Rover Limited in 2013.
- Tata Motors also owns multiple global automotive operations in both the commercial and passenger vehicle segments, while the parent Tata Group does business in everything from hospitals to steel to telecommunications.
Where is Land Rover Made?
Land Rover manufactures new vehicles primarily in England, but their growing popularity over the past two or three decades has expanded their manufacturing to four other countries outside the UK.
- United Kingdom, Solihull Plant — Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, and Range Rover Velar
- United Kingdom, Halewood Plant — Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque
- Slovakia, Nitra Plant — Land Rover Discovery and Land Rover Defender
- Brazil, Itatiatia Plant — Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque
- China, Changshu Plant — Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque
- India, Pune Plant — Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque
Land Rover Company Timeline
- 1947: Rover Company Chairman Maurice Wilks designs the first Land Rover model, built on a Jeep axle and chassis.
- April 30, 1948: The first Land Rover officially debuts at the Amsterdam Motor Show.
- 1967: Rover Company becomes Rover Triumph, as part of Leyland Motors (later British Leyland Motors).
- 1978: Land Rover Limited becomes its own company under British Leyland Motors, 30 years after the creation of the first Land Rover model.
- 1994: The Rover Group is acquired by BMW.
- 2000: The Rover Group is broken up by BMW and Land Rover is sold to Ford.
- 2008: Tata Motors based in Mumbai, India purchases Land Rover and Jaguar from Ford, and creates a new Jaguar Land Rover subsidiary.
Explore the Land Rover Brand at Land Rover Mission Viejo
If you are wondering who owns Land Rover vs. who owns Range Rover, the answer is the same, because a Range Rover is not a separate brand, but rather a model within the Land Rover brand. Want to know more about the brand and what features are waiting for new drivers in Coto De Caza and San Clemente? Check out information on Range Rover HSE reviews, Land Rover InControl® Apps™, and more, then contact %%di_names%%, your local authorized Land Rover retailer to schedule a test drive!